Jump start your meta-analysis
This hands-on training, with step-by-step instructions and a fully-functional trial license for Stata software, will give you a high-level overview of how to confidently undertake a meta-analysis.
Meta-analyses (including meta-regression) has become essential tool for researchers in diverse fields – from biology and medicine to social sciences, engineering and more. They enable researchers to combine the results from a number of different studies, thereby providing more definitive insights as to whether certain conditions have particular effects.
Papers with meta-analyses, often lead to highly cited research publications that can change practice or the direction of future research. Because of this, some research funding bodies have now started demanding prior meta-analyses as a condition of awarding grants.
The 4-hour training is led by Prof. Amanda Salis. Amanda has produced 14 systematic literature reviews (8 of which contained meta-analyses), with 11 of these systematic reviews/meta-analyses being published to date.
This training will equip you with a high-level yet step-by-step overview of how to undertake a meta-analysis, including…
- How to determine if the data you find in your literature search is suitable – or not – for subsequent meta-analysis.
- Understand the theoretical essentials of meta-analysis.
- Understand the process of uploading, arranging, and managing data sets for meta-analysis.
- Become familiar with simple meta-analysis functions in STATA.
- Gain an understanding of how to identify sources of heterogeneity in the data.
- Know how to go about graphing, interpreting and reporting meta-analytical data for publication.
- Understand the meaning of essential elements of meta-analyses, so that you can write the methods and results sections of your paper correctly and confidently.
Who is this training for?
- Honours students
- Higher degree research students (e.g., Masters and PhD students)
- Junior postdoctoral fellows
- Senior researchers
An understanding of essential statistical concepts, such as those outlined in the following training: Brush up on essential stats.
What you need at the training
- A computer with STATA software already installed on it. We will send registrants a license key to a fully-functional trial of STATA software a week before the training, with clear instructions on how to download and install it on their computer.
- STATA knowledge is not essential as we will provide you the instructions for meta-analysis however it would be beneficial for you to become familiar with STATA before the training. We have an upcoming training “Get Started With STATA” for people who are not familiar with STATA. In this 1 hour webinar we will cover the following topics:
- STATA and its advantages
- STATA windows, menus, commands
- Basic data reporting and descriptive statistics
- Data saving, importing, exporting and manipulating
- Basic graphing commands
- The do-files
The link for registration: Get Started With STATA.
Cost: We offer you a free ticket for this training which is normally $19.80 (inc. GST) if you register to “Jump Start Your Meta-Analysis” training . Your promotion code for free entry to Get Started With STATA will be sent in your event registration confirmation email.
- Alternatively, we recommend you to have a look at this STATA Tutorial that gives a good introduction. There are plenty other tutorials can be found in STATA web site too.
- Your own data that you can analyze at the training. Sample data will also be provided.
Refunds and Cancellations
Please refer to our Refund and Cancellation Policy.